Wednesday, June 28, 2006

A Tribute...


I don't claim to be a talented writer. However, I do attribute any abilities in this area to two individuals. First, my creative writer teacher in high school. He was a self-proclaimed communist. He was very tall, I'm guessing around 6'5. His glasses were outlined with thick, black frames and his hair was shoulder-lengthed and silver. (In retrospect, I'm guessing he attended Woodstock). He encouraged me to write about new things. Crazy, insane things. We wrote one essay on the three perspectives of looking at a pencil. Another involved being the driver in a car crash where our torsos were impaled on the steering column upon impact. As a junior in high school, I thought he was scary and odd. But, looking back, I learned a lot.

I'd also like to give some credit to my creative writing professor in college. I'm not sure if I actually learned anything in that class. However, I did get a chance to create a portfolio that included extremely controversial writings. I wrote openly about my sexual experiences, binge drinking episodes, personal philosophies, and thoughts about the mentally challenged. Did I mention that I attended a small conservative Christian college? Also, during my creative writing class time, I learned to take my underwear off without taking off my shorts. Talk about a resume builder...

So, without any reservations, I'd like to say a big thanks to Mr. Spare and Mr. Paperclips. (Their names have been altered to protect their anonymity.)

No comments: